My mother had been raving about this power bar recipe for weeks, but when I finally got my hands on it, I discovered it wasn’t clean. Dejected and at Costco I discovered a gigantic bag of Bob’s Red Mill (I love Bob) Muesli. I had never heard of muesli in my life probably because I’m from the mid-west where the only food people talk about is steak and they are still baffled that you can put a piece of fruit in a beer. Coincidentally, Muesli had almost all of the dry ingredients of the power bar recipe and it was advertised as a hot/cold cereal. Sold. All 64oz of it.
I started putting it in my greek yogurt (if you mix it up and put it in the fridge for about 10mins, the oats soak up the yogurt and it’s the most amazing parfait) but after about 3 weeks, I had hardly made a dent in the bag. I adapted this from skinnyminniemoves.com and used muesli and adding more raisins and dried cranberries (unsweetened). You can really taste the banana in them, which I love! I’d recommend using your judgment if you need to add more muesli to soak up the “granola glue” or they might come out soggy.
-1 ½ cup of Muesli
-1 Tablespoon of ground flax meal
-1/4 cup of raisins
-1/4 cup of dried cranberries-chopped (or any type of dried fruit without the sugars)
-1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
-1 fairly ripe banana, chopped as small as you can
-2 Tablespoons of natural peanut butter
-2 Tablespoons of natural honey
-1 tsp cinnamon
1. Heat up the almond milk in a pan for a minute or two on medium to low heat, then add the banana. Once it starts cooking, mash the banana down.
2. Add the cinnamon, peanut butter, and honey. Stir it up.
3. Prepare your dry ingredients: Mix Muesli, dried cranberries, raisins, flax meal.
4. Add your wet banana mixture to the muesli mix, add additional muesli as needed
5. Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper and slide the mixture in the dish
Flatten the mix out evenly and press down with a spoon or your hands.
6. Let this set in the fridge overnight.
The next day, cut into squares and grab one for an on the go breakfast!