Written by: Kayte Corrigan
The human body does amazing things. Skip the criticism of extra cushion today, and appreciate everything your body can do. Here are a few things to feed your brain and wow your friends at dinner parties.
Caution: Some may contain motivation for your next workout!
- People with more education tend to be more physically active. Most jocks are smarty pants!
- The human body has more than 650 muscles and each muscle fiber is thinner than a hair and can support up to 1,000 times its own weight.
- By the age of 65, individuals who haven’t engaged in exercise on a regular basis may suffer a decrease in muscular strength by as much as 80 percent. Note to self: schedule strength training now and forever!
- Your heart pumps about 74 gallons of blood in a single day - enough to fill almost three gas tanks!
- The average person will walk about 70,000 miles during their lifetime. We say, be an over achiever.
- One pound of muscle burns about 9 calories a day, and one pound of fat only burns 2. What kind of pounds would you like?
- Underwater swimming is the only time you should hold your breathe while exercising. And even then you come up for air!
- The human nervous system can relay messages to the brain at speeds of up to 200 miles per hour. How’s that for fast and furious!
- Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end. That means the rest are all connected to each other. You can’t work one without working another!
- Your heart is the strongest muscle of your body and beats about 100,000 times in one day, in an average adult. Keep it healthy by elevating the heart rate one a day, even if it’s a brisk walk.